Sharon has set my mind whirling with February’s challenge…
I’m already to start stitching… in my head…
tifc032.jpg
I’m wondering if I can use this as a base… maybe I’d better sleep on it and see how it all looks in the morning…

trusting to the process…

January 31, 2008

this is not going well… I’ve tried to finish the end of this strip off with more weaving… but cutting into the backing fabric was perhaps not such a good idea… it’s fraying… I just need to try and put a needle through and it splits apart… room for improvement here I think…
tifc027.jpg

the first seams…

January 30, 2008

stitches have been added… the first seam done… it came together with
simple running stitches…
tifc028.jpg
while the second demanded more sophisticated treatment…
first the stitches had to follow the weave in the fabric… then the velvet wanted more than running stitch… so a few French knots crept in…
tifc030.jpg
here you can see the first two seams stitched…
it certainly is easier to stitch without the pins in… I’ve not counted the number of seams left to stitch… but this is one Tifc that is not going to be finished by the end of January…
tifc029.jpg
the process of stitching is giving me time to ponder… to contemplate… ( meditate even… something I’ve tried to do in the past with very little success… ) getting enjoyment out of the making of this woven cloth, without a final product in mind, really is relaxing… this ‘slow cloth’ approach is just great… so it seems…. ‘it’s the journey, not the destination’… therefore… it’s the process not the finished article that’s important… well that’s what it feels like at the moment…
a couple of flowers have made an apperance…
tifc025.jpg
while the progress on the woven cloth may be as slow as a snail… I’m getting so much out of the process… just taking the time to sit quiet and sew… the time to ponder and let your mind drift… it is a lovely relaxing way of working… trusting to the process… to let things develop at will… this to me is what ‘slow cloth’ is all about…
I started stitching… I simple followed a few of the holding stitches as a way of starting… the dark green thread contrasted nicely with the pale green damask…
tifc023.jpg
while I was stitching this… looking for somewhere to add a doorway… flowers just appeared… so the cloth now has the start of a flower garden…
tifc024.jpg
where will they lead to?… maybe a secret… or two… this cloth seems to be growing fast… while I’m still pondering on the word slow…

joining the seams…

January 22, 2008

not sure if I explained very well in the last post…
so I thought I’d try adding a few pictures
tifc020.jpg
first find a seam…
tifc021.jpg
then make a slit in one fabric… and push the other fabric through…
tifc022.jpg
now wait to see how it wants to be stitched down…

just a few stitches…

January 21, 2008

to help hold the woven cloth together… I’ve attached the woven cloth to a piece of upholstery fabric to give it some stability and a little stiffness so that I have something to stitch into…
tifc016.jpg
big stitches on the back… but only little ones on the front…
tifc017.jpg
as I’m not sure if I’m going to leave them in… or maybe I will cover them with other stitches… I’ve had great fun with the ‘seams’… as I said in an earlier post I had only pinned the fabric strips together… so to join them I’ve cut slits in one fabric and fed the other one into the first fabric…
(did that make sense? hopefully you can see what I mean in the pictures)
tifc019.jpg
where the join occurred under another strip I cut a slit in that too and fed both ends through…
tifc018.jpg
I feel that I’m now ready to start to tell the cloth’s story… certainly a few stitches will be used… maybe a few of my doorways will be added… but I’m coming to the conclusion that the next take it further challenge will be posted before I’ve finished this one… unless I get a lot of stitching time…

while I was sorting / ironing my fabric things just seemed to start happening… several of the pieces of fabric had already been torn into strips…

tifc010.jpg tifc011.jpg

so it just seemed natural to work with strips of fabric… I joined some together… soon having quite a large pile… all this seemed to happen with very little thought on my part… you could say that the fabric decided what it wanted to be…

tifc012.jpg

 

the strips were only pinned together… but without any sewing happening first… the fabric strips just seemed to say ‘weave me’ … so that’s what I did… this was a completely different way of working for me… normally I would have drawn a design out first on paper… measured everything carefully then cut and sewn everything together pressing the seams as I went…

tifc0131.jpg

but as you can see… I have a woven piece of cloth… uneven… both in terms of size of strips and colour and tonal value… if I’d followed my normal way of working I would be re-weaving this so that the colours would be ‘better’ spaced I would have spend hours arranging things… but this time I just let the cloth ‘do it’…

tifc014.jpg

I ended up with some wonderful combinations… so thanks Sharon B for the take it further challenge… and thanks Jude for your what if’s… I feel that maybe this slow cloth is starting to evolve into a story cloth as it certainly took on a life of it’s own in it’s early development…

daylight…

January 19, 2008

tifc007.jpg
… before sorting and ironing and… after… a much reduced basket full
tifc009.jpg
¬†while I started with Sharon B’s suggested colours I ‘took things a little further’

selecting the fabric…

January 19, 2008

didn’t know I had so much fabric in these colours… this selection was made in the dark so maybe I’d better wait for daylight before I make the final selection…

tifc006.jpg